The slow viscous downslope flow of waterlogged soil and other unsorted and saturated surficial material, normally at 0.5-5.0 cm/yr; esp. the flow occurring at high elevations in regions underlain by frozen ground (not necessarily permafrost) that acts as a downward barrier to water percolation, initiated by frost action and augmented by meltwater resulting from alternate freezing and thawing of snow and ground ice. Neuendorf, K.K.E., Mehl, J.P., Jr., and Jackson, J.A., eds., 2005, Glossary of Geology: American Geological Institute, 799 p.
Below is a list of publications related to Solifluction. Select a publication number to access more detailed information and their respective files available for download.
- RI 2016-6
- Hubbard, T.D., 2016, Surficial-geologic map of parts of the Sagavanirktok and Toolik river drainages, northern Brooks Range foothills, Alaska: Alaska Division of Geological & Geophysical Surveys Report of Investigation 2016-6, 1 sheet, scale 1:63,360. http://doi.org/10.14509/29472
- PIR 2015-4
- Flaig, P.P., and van der Kolk, D.A., 2015, Depositional environments of the Prince Creek Formation along the east side of the Toolik River, Sagavanirktok Quadrangle, North Slope, Alaska: Alaska Division of Geological & Geophysical Surveys Preliminary Interpretive Report 2015-4, 17 p., 1 sheet. http://doi.org/10.14509/29407
- Spangler, E.R. and others, 2013
- Spangler, E.R., Hubbard, T.D., Daanen, R.P., Darrow, M.M., Simpson, J.M., and Southerland, L.E., 2013, Geologic and geomorphic characterization of frozen debris lobe catchments along the Dalton Highway, southern Brooks Range, Alaska (poster): Geological Society of America Annual Meeting, Denver, Colorado, October 27, 2013, Abstracts with Programs (49-16), v. 45, no. 7, p. 152: Alaska Division of Geological & Geophysical Surveys , 1 sheet. http://doi.org/10.14509/27007
- RI 2013-2
- Reger, R.D., and Burns, P.A.C., 2013, Surficial-geologic map of the Livengood area, central Alaska: Alaska Division of Geological & Geophysical Surveys Report of Investigation 2013-2, 1 sheet, scale 1:50,000. http://doi.org/10.14509/25179
- GB 9
- Walker, D.A., Hamilton, T.D., Ping, C.L., Daanen, R.P., and Streever, W.W., 2009, Dalton Highway Field Trip Guide for the Ninth International Conference on Permafrost: Alaska Division of Geological & Geophysical Surveys Guidebook 9, 104 p. http://doi.org/10.14509/18395
- PR 121
- Hamilton, T.D., 2003, Surficial geology of the Dalton Highway (Itkillik-Sagavanirktok rivers) area, southern Arctic foothills, Alaska: Alaska Division of Geological & Geophysical Surveys Professional Report 121, 32 p., 1 sheet, scale 1:63,360. http://doi.org/10.14509/7191