An abnormal, sudden rise of sea level along an open coast during a storm, caused primarily by strong winds offshore, or less frequently by a drop in atmospheric pressure, resulting in water piled up against the coast. It is most severe when accompanied by high tide. Syn: surge [waves], hurricane surge, storm wave.Neuendorf, K.K.E., Mehl, J.P., Jr., and Jackson, J.A., ed., 2005, Glossary of Geology: American Geological Institute, 799 p.
Below is a list of publications related to Storm Surge. Select a publication number to access more detailed information and their respective files available for download.
- AOF 125
- Riehle, J.R., Emmel, K.S., and Bolm, J.G., 1981, Reconnaissance report on surficial geology of the coastal area from Tolstoi Point to Cape Nome, Norton Sound, Alaska: Alaska Division of Geological & Geophysical Surveys Alaska Open-File Report 125, 27 p., 3 sheets, scale 1:63,360. doi:10.14509/42
- MP 147
- Smith, J.R., Gray, Glenn, and Kinsman, N.E.M., 2012, Annotated bibliography series in support of coastal community hazard planning-Northwest Alaska: Alaska Division of Geological & Geophysical Surveys Miscellaneous Publication 147, 5 p. doi:10.14509/24084
- MP 154
- Tschetter, T.J., Kinsman, N.E.M., and Fish, A.M., 2014, Color-indexed elevation maps for flood-vulnerable coastal communities in western Alaska: Alaska Division of Geological & Geophysical Surveys Miscellaneous Publication 154, 20 p., 20 sheets, scale 1 inch = 500 feet. doi:10.14509/29129
- OF 77-32
- Hopkins, D.M., 1977, Coastal processes and coastal erosional hazards to the Cape Krusenstern archaeological site: U.S. Geological Survey Open-File Report 77-32, 15 p., 1 sheet, scale 1:250,000.
- OF 2010-1176
- Douglas, D.C., 2010, Arctic sea ice decline: projected changes in timing and extent of sea ice in the Bering and Chukchi seas: U.S. Geological Survey Open-File Report 2010-1176, 39 p.
- PIR 2013-3
- Kinsman, N.E.M., DeRaps, M.R., and Smith, J.R., 2013, Preliminary evaluation of coastal geomorphology and geohazards on 'Kigiqtam Iglua', an island northeast of Shishmaref, Alaska: Alaska Division of Geological & Geophysical Surveys Preliminary Interpretive Report 2013-3, 15 p. doi:10.14509/24955
- Smith, J.R. and others, 2013
- Smith, J.R., Kinsman, N.E.M., and Misra, Debasmita, 2013, Using WorldView-2 multispectral bands for shallow water bathymetric survey near Wales, Alaska (poster): American Society of Photogrammetry and Remote Sensing Annual Meeting, Baltimore, Maryland, March 24-28, 2013: Alaska Division of Geological & Geophysical Surveys, 1 sheet. doi:10.14509/25159
- Kinsman, N.E.M., 2013
- Kinsman, N.E.M., 2013, Alaska Local Tidal Datums: An Introduction for non-experts (presentation): Alaska Native Tribal Health Consortium Local Environmental Observer (LEO) Network Seminar Series, Online, March 2013: Alaska Division of Geological & Geophysical Surveys, 19 p. doi:10.14509/26885
- RI 2012-2 v. 1.1
- Kinsman, N.E.M., and DeRaps, M.R., 2012, Coastal hazard field investigations in response to the November 2011 Bering Sea storm, Norton Sound, Alaska: Alaska Division of Geological & Geophysical Surveys Report of Investigation 2012-2 v. 1.1, 51 p., 1 sheet. doi:10.14509/24484