Any force that tends to raise an engineered structure and its foundation relative to its surroundings. It may stem from pressure of subjacent ground, surface water, or expansive soil under the base of the structure; or from lateral forces such as wind or earthquake shaking that tend to cause overturning.Neuendorf, K.K.E., Mehl, J.P., Jr., and Jackson, J.A., ed., 2005, Glossary of Geology: American Geological Institute, 799 p.
Below is a list of publications related to Uplift. Select a publication number to access more detailed information and their respective files available for download.
- OF 78-943
- Plafker, George and Rubin, Meyer, 1978, Uplift history and earthquake recurrence as deduced from marine terraces on Middleton Island, Alaska: U.S. Geological Survey Open-File Report 78-943, p. 687-721.
- OF 2003-158
- Carver, David, Plucinski, Timothy, Frankel, Arthur, and Safak, Erdal, 2003, Data report of aftershocks of the 03 November 2002, Mw 7.9 Denali Fault earthquake recorded near the fault rupture at the Richardson Highway and Alyeska Pipeline: U.S. Geological Survey Open-File Report 2003-158.
- P 543-G
- Plafker, George, 1967, Surface faults on Montague Island associated with the 1964 Alaska earthquake: U.S. Geological Survey Professional Paper 543-G, p. G1-G42, 2 sheets, scale 1:31,680.
- P 543-H
- Kirkby, M.J. and Kirkby, A.V., 1969, Erosion and deposition on a beach raised by the 1964 earthquake, Montague Island, Alaska: U.S. Geological Survey Professional Paper 543-H, p. H1-H41.
- P 1074
- Yehle, L.A., 1979, Reconnaissance engineering geology of the Yakutat area, Alaska, with emphasis on evaluation of earthquake and other geologic hazards: U.S. Geological Survey Professional Paper 1074, 44 p., 1 sheet, scale 1:63,360.
- PDF 95-23
- Clough, J.G. and Murphy, J.M., 1995, Low-temperature thermal history of three wells in southern Alaska offshore basins: Lower Cook Inlet, Shelikof Strait, and Stevenson trough: Alaska Division of Geological & Geophysical Surveys Public Data File 95-23, 79 p.
- PIR 2013-4
- Gillis, R.J., Stanley, R.G., LePain, D.L., Mauel, D.J., Herriott, T.M., Helmold, K.P., Peterson, C.S., Wartes, M.A., and Shellenbaum, D.P., 2013, Status of a reconnaissance field study of the Susitna basin, 2011: Alaska Division of Geological & Geophysical Surveys Preliminary Interpretive Report 2013-4, 8 p.
- Gillis, R.J. and others, 2011
- Gillis, R.J., Wartes, M.A., and O'Sullivan, P.B., 2011, Preliminary findings from reconnaissance structural studies along the Bruin Bay fault system and adjacent areas, south-central Alaska: AAPG Pacific Section Meeting, Anchorage, AK, May 10, 2011: Alaska Division of Geological & Geophysical Surveys, 1 sheet.