The Engineering Geology Section collects, analyzes, and compiles geologic data useful for engineering and hazard risk-mitigation purposes. Surficial-geologic maps portray the distribution of unconsolidated surficialgeologic materials and provide information on their engineering properties and potential as sources of construction materials and placer minerals. Studies of major geologic hazards such as earthquakes, active faults, and tsunamis result in reports outlining potential hazards in susceptible areas. The section advises other DNR divisions and state agencies regarding potential hazard risks to proposed developments and land disposals.
- ASAP Gasline - Multi-year geohazards investigation along the proposed Alaska Stand-Alone Gas Pipeline (ASAP)
- Alaska applied engineering geology and neotectonics research program - a statewide program to facilitate and implement geotechnical studies aimed at providing a better understanding of how active seismic and slope instability features can impact infrastructure
- Alaska climate and cryosphere hazards program - Program to rigorously assess geologic hazards associated with climate variability and change and to publish information that will be used for forecasting and proactive planning, hazard mitigation, and emergency response in high-risk communities and developing areas
- Alaska coastal geohazards - A coastal community geohazards evaluation and geologic mapping program in support of local and regional planning
- Alaska hydrogeology - A statewide program to lead research efforts that focus on understanding groundwater-related issues impacting resource development and communities.
- Dalton Highway frozen debris lobes - A GIS, remote sensing, and field based study to examine frozen debris lobes in the southern Brooks Range
- Gas pipeline corridor - Geology, geohazards, and resources along the proposed gas pipeline corridor, Alaska Highway, from Delta Junction to the Canada border
- Kivalina - Surficial-geologic map and map of engineering geology and potential geologic hazards of the Kivalina area, northwest Alaska; STATEMAP grant no. G10AC00321
- Sagavanirktok River area, Sagavanirktok A-3, A-4, B-3 and B-4 quadrangles - Geologic map of the Sagavanirktok River area, Sagavanirktok Quadrangle, Alaska; STATEMAP grant no. 08HQAG0051
- Susitna - Watana hydroelectric project - Evaluation of selected geologic aspects of the proposed Susitna-Watana Hydroelectric Project
- Susitna basin hydrology - Study of the hydrology of the upper Susitna drainage basin, with a particular focus on modeling the effects of glacier wastage and retreat on streamflow
- Tsunami inundation mapping - Develop multiple hypothetical tsunami scenarios that are based on the parameters of potential underwater earthquakes and landslides for selected Alaskan coastal communities
- Tyonek - Capps Glacier area - Bedrock and Quaternary geologic map of the Tyonek-Capps Glacier area, northwestern Cook Inlet, Alaska; STATEMAP grant no. G10AC00321 and 09AC00177
- Whittier - Geology and geologic hazards map of the Whittier area, south-central, Alaska; STATEMAP grant no. G12AC20187