Brandon L. Browne
Education and/or Training
Ph.D., 2005, University of Alaska, Fairbanks, Geology
M.S., 2001, University of Alaska, Fairbanks, Geology
B.S., 1998, Oregon State University, Environmental Science
B.S., 1998, Oregon State University, Geology
Projects and/or Research Interests
My research utilizes geologic mapping and field relations of volcanic deposits along with geochemical and petrological techniques to investigate a variety of magmatic and volcanic processes.
2020-present, Geologist, Alaska Volcano Observatory, Alaska Division of Geological & Geophysical Surveys
2019-2020, Professor, Department of Geology, Humboldt State University
2014-2019, Associate Professor, Department of Geology, Humboldt State University
2013-2014, Associate Professor, Department of Geology, Occidental College
2011-2013, Associate Professor, Department of Geological Sciences, California State University Fullerton
2005-2011, Assistant Professor, Department of Geological Sciences, California State University Fullerton
- Diniega, S., Sangha, S.S., and Browne, B.L., 2018, Using satellite imagery to identify and analyze tumuli on Earth and Mars: Earth and Planetary Science Letters, v. 482, p. 52-61. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.epsl.2017.10.028
- Browne, B.L., Becerra, R., Campbell, C., Saleen, P., and Wille, F.R., 2017, Quaternary basaltic volcanism in the Golden Trout Volcanic Field, southern Sierra Nevada, California: Journal of Volcanology and Geothermal Research, v. 343, p. 25-44. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jvolgeores.2017.05.028
- Browne, B.L., and Tepley, F., 2016, Very coarse-grained plagioclase-CPX-hornblende orthocumulate xenoliths from East Tanaga Volcano, western Aleutian Islands, Alaska: , Abstracts with Programs v. 48, no. 4. https://doi.org/10.1130/abs/2016CD-274417
- Browne, B.L., and Szramek, L., 2015, Rates of magma ascent and storage in Sigurdsson, H., Houghton, B., McNutt, S., Rymer, H., Stix, J. (eds.), 2015, Encyclopedia of Volcanoes, 2nd edition: Academic Press, p. 203-214.
- Churikova, T.G., Ivanov, B.V., Eichelberger, J.C., Worner, G., Browne, B.L., and Izbekov, P.E., 2013, Major and trace element zoning in plagioclase from Kizimen Volcano (Kamchatka): Insights into magma-chamber processes: Journal of Volcanology and Seismology, v. 7, no. 2, p. 112-130. https://doi.org/10.1134/S0742046313020024
- Coombs, M.L., McGimsey, R.G., and Browne, B.L., 2012, Geologic map of Mount Gareloi, Gareloi Island, Alaska: U.S. Geological Survey Scientific Investigations Map 3145, 18 p., 1 sheet, scale 1:24,000. https://dggs.alaska.gov/pubs/id/29873
- Steiner, A.R., Browne, B.L., and Nye, C.J., 2012, Quenched mafic inclusions in ≤ 2,200 yrs B.P. deposits at Augustine Volcano, Alaska: International Geology Review, v. 54, no. 11, p. 1241-1270. https://doi.org/10.1080/00206814.2011.636641
- Browne, B.L., Bursik, M., Deming, J., Louros, M., Martos, A., and Stine, S., 2010, Eruption chronology and petrologic reconstruction of the holocene eruption of Red Cones, southern Inyo Chain, California: Geological Society of America, Bulletin v. 122, no. 9, p. 1401-1422. https://doi.org/10.1130/B30070.1
- Browne, B.L., Izbekov, P.E., Eichelberger, J.C., and Churikova, T., 2010, Constraints on the pre-eruptive storage conditions of the Holocene-aged KZI dacite magma erupted from Kizimen Volcano, Kamchatka: International Geology Review, v. 52, no. 1, p. 95-110.
- Coombs, M.L., McGimsey, R.G., and Browne, B.L., 2008, Preliminary volcano-hazard assessment for Gareloi volcano, Gareloi Island, Alaska: U.S. Geological Survey Scientific Investigations Report 2008-5159, 27 p., 1 sheet. https://dggs.alaska.gov/pubs/id/19905
- Coombs, M.L., McGimsey, R.G., and Browne, B.L., 2007, Preliminary volcano-hazard assessment for the Tanaga volcanic cluster, Tanaga Island, Alaska: U.S. Geological Survey Scientific Investigations Report 2007-5094, 37 p., 1 sheet. https://dggs.alaska.gov/pubs/id/19944
- Browne, B.L., 2006, Investigating magma withdrawal dynamics during Plinian eruptions through mineral and eruptive stratigraphies: Examples from the chemically zoned 400 yr BP eruption of Half Cone Volcano, Aniakchak National Park, Alaska: American Geophysical Union Fall Meeting 2006, Eos Transactions v. 87, no. 52, supplement, abstract id: V53E-05.
- Browne, B.L., and Gardner, J.E., 2006, The influence of magma ascent path on the texture, mineralogy, and formation of hornblende reaction rims: Earth and Planetary Science Letters, v. 246, no. 3-4, p. 161-176.
- Eichelberger, J.C., Izbekov, P.E., and Browne, B.L., 2006, Bulk chemical trends at arc volcanoes are not liquid lines of descent: Lithos, v. 87, no. 1-2, p. 135-154.