Description:Eruptions from Makushin volcano pose a hazard to facilities and residents of Dutch Harbor/Unalaska, the most productive fishing port in the nation. Given the potential impacts to Dutch Harbor, especially from volcanic ash fall, the Alaska Volcano Observatory has prioritized scientific investigations at Makushin to better understand the three voluminous early Holocene eruptions and numerous small ash fall events that have impacted the Dutch Harbor/Unalaska region. AVO staff is converting unpublished digital data to the GeMS geodatabase model starting in 2020.
Project Date(s):2000 - present
Primary Contact:Schaefer, Janet R.
Project Participants:Beget, James E., Bull, Kate F., Larsen, Jessica F., Nye, Christopher J., Schaefer, Janet R.
- IC 86
- Schaefer, J.R.G., Perreault, J.M., Larsen, J.F., and Vallance, J.W., 2020, Makushin Volcano ash hazards: Alaska Division of Geological & Geophysical Surveys Information Circular 86, 2 p. https://doi.org/10.14509/30411
- RI 2004-3
- Beget, J.E., Larsen, J.F., Neal, C.A., Nye, C.J., and Schaefer, J.R., 2005, Preliminary volcano-hazard assessment for Okmok Volcano, Umnak Island, Alaska: Alaska Division of Geological & Geophysical Surveys Report of Investigation 2004-3, 32 p., 1 sheet, scale 1:150,000. https://doi.org/10.14509/7042
- RI 2000-4
- Beget, J.E., Nye, C.J., and Bean, K.W., 2000, Preliminary volcano-hazard assessment for Makushin Volcano, Alaska: Alaska Division of Geological & Geophysical Surveys Report of Investigation 2000-4, 22 p., 1 sheet, scale 1:100,000. https://doi.org/10.14509/2679
- RI 97-20
- McConnell, V.S., Beget, J.E., Roach, A.L., Bean, K.W., and Nye, C.J., 1998, Geologic map of the Makushin Volcanic Field, Unalaska Island, Alaska: Alaska Division of Geological & Geophysical Surveys Report of Investigation 97-20, 2 sheets, scale 1:63,360. https://doi.org/10.14509/2576
- AR 2013-D
- DGGS Staff, 2014, Volcanology FY14 project descriptions, in DGGS Staff, Alaska Division of Geological & Geophysical Surveys Annual Report 2013: Alaska Division of Geological & Geophysical Surveys Annual Report 2013-D, p. 66-75. https://doi.org/10.14509/27004