Geologic mapping, geochronology, tectonics, structure, rural energy resources
Education and/or Training
M.S. 2012, University of California at Santa Barbara (UCSB), CA: Geological Sciences
B.S. with Honors, 2008, University of Florida, FL: Geological Sciences
Projects and/or Research Interests
My research interests lie primarily in understanding the timing and geometry of crustal deformation in various tectonic environments using geochronologic techniques in conjunction with field mapping. Currently I apply my experience to investigating the development of hydrocarbons and Alaskan tectonics, primarily in the Cook Inlet and North Slope/Brooks Range foothills regions. Additionally, I am interested in furthering discovery and assessment of local energy sources in rural Alaskan communities, including non-fossil fuel sources like geothermal, to help provide all Alaskans with more secure and affordable energy.
I also provide cartography, logistics, and data management support for the Section, and am working to integrate and implement up-and-coming technologies into our operations. Occasionally I also participate in mineral resource-focused field mapping with the DGGS Minerals Section.
My previous work in Alaska prior to my employment at DGGS focused on exploring mineral deposits in the interior, and natural resource land management including working to address contaminated sites on state land. I have collaborated on geologic research projects in southcentral Idaho, Italy, and the Tibetan Himalaya.
2016-present, Geologist, State of Alaska, Division of Geological & Geophysical Surveys, Fairbanks, AK
2014-2016, Natural Resource Specialist, State of Alaska, Division of Mining, Land & Water, Fairbanks, AK
2012-2014, Mineral Exploration Geologist, various entities in Alaska
Selected Professional Activities
2012, G.K. Gilbert Award for Excellence in Scientific Presentation (UCSB)
2010, Regents Special Fellowship (UCSB)
2008, Summa Cum Laude Honors (UF)
2006, Induction into Phi Beta Kappa Honor Society
- Willingham, A.L., and Herriott, T.M., 2020, Photogrammetry-derived digital surface model and orthoimagery of Slope Mountain, North Slope, Alaska, June 2018: Alaska Division of Geological & Geophysical Surveys Raw Data File 2020-1, 9 p. https://doi.org/10.14509/30419
- Herriott, T.M., Wartes, M.A., Decker, P.L., Gillis, R.J., Shellenbaum, D.P., Willingham, A.L., and Mauel, D.J., 2018, Geologic map of the Umiat-Gubik area, central North Slope, Alaska: Alaska Division of Geological & Geophysical Surveys Report of Investigation 2018-6, 55 p., 1 sheet, scale 1:63,360. https://doi.org/10.14509/30099
- Sicard, K.R., Naibert, T.J., Hubbard, T.D., Twelker, Evan, Wypych, Alicja, Werdon, M.B., Willingham, A.L., Gillis, R.J., Lande, L.L., and Newberry, R.J., 2017, Geologic map of the Tok River area, Tanacross A-5 and A-6 quadrangles, eastern Alaska Range, Alaska: Alaska Division of Geological & Geophysical Surveys Preliminary Interpretive Report 2017-3, 15 p., 1 sheet, scale 1:63,360. https://doi.org/10.14509/29722
- Willingham, A.L., 2012, Time-scales of crustal anatexis in the Ama Drime Massif, southern Tibet: Santa Barbara, California, University of California Santa Barbara, M.S. thesis.
- Dekov, V.M., Kamenov, G.D., Savelli, C., Stummeyer, J., Thiry, M., Shanks, W.C., Willingham, A.L., Boycheva, T.B., Rochette, P., Kuzmann, E., Fortin, D., and V?rtes, A., 2009, Metalliferous sediments from Eolo Seamount (Tyrrhenian Sea): Hydrothermal deposition and re-deposition in a zone of oxygen depletion: Chemical Geology, v. 264, no. 1-4, p. 347-363. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.chemgeo.2009.03.023
- Kamenov, G.D., Dekov, V.M., Willingham, A.L., Savelli, C., and Bellucci, L.G., 2009, Anthropogenic Pb in recent hydrothermal sediments from the Tyrrhenian Sea: Implications for seawater Pb control on low-temperature hydrothermal systems: Geology, v. 37, no. 2, p. 111-114. https://doi.org/10.1130/G25104A.1